Finding the right food for your dog can be challenging, especially when you have a fussy eater like Elsa, but we've found a brand that is worth barking about! Here's why Elsa is 'powered by ORIJEN'...
When Elsa joined our family, my husband and I had a lot to learn; having never lived with a dog before, we had to adapt our routines to incorporate everything from training and exercise to daily grooming. Elsa was weaned onto a dry puppy food by her breeder, and when we brought her home we continued to feed her the same food without question, it was one less thing to think about while we got to grips with puppy pads, de-matting fur and attempting to instil some sort of obedience training!
Soon the day came when it was time to transition Elsa’s food to an ‘adult’ recipe. Having already discovered that she is a fussy eater, we thought that sticking to the same brand would be the easiest option so we bought a bag of adult dog food and started the transition. The food was the same shape and texture and she didn’t seem to notice the difference! So far, so good.
After a few months we had noticed that Elsa’s weight had started to creep up, but we weren’t overly concerned at the time, she was still growing. A few more months down the line she was still piling on the pounds so we decided to cut down on her portions, but soon we were feeding her less than the recommended amount and she was still gaining weight! It was at this point that I decided to look for an alternative food, unaware of the minefield that awaited me…
We are actually very lucky to have so much diversity nowadays as far as dog food is concerned. There are endless varieties to choose from and a huge selection of different flavours and compositions, available in a range of forms including raw, cold-pressed, wet/ tinned food and kibble. Many of our friends swear by raw feeding but I have to be honest, it’s just not for us. Don’t get me wrong, our number one priority is to ensure that Elsa is fed the absolute best food available; raw feeding just wouldn’t suit our lifestyle. Wet/ tinned food can be expensive and it’s always upset Elsa’s stomach, so we set out to seek the best dry ‘kibble’ style food possible.
There is an excellent website called AllAboutDogFood.co.uk that was created by a canine nutritionist called David Jackson where information is available about all the major dog food brands, so I did some research online and spoke to our vet about nutrition to try and gain a better understanding of how much protein, fat, fibre etc. that we should look for in dog food for Elsa. Instead of just reading the ‘sales pitch’ from each brand, I meticulously searched through the ingredient lists to make sure that I could see evidence of wholesome, fresh ingredients, avoiding any unnecessary additives or fillers like potato starch or grains that did not belong in a dog’s diet and might cause Elsa to gain weight.
After comparing several brands side-by-side I decided to buy Elsa ORIJEN, specifically their Fit & Trim recipe. It has a ‘5 out of 5’ rating on AllAboutDogFood.co.uk, and ORIJEN have also won several awards in recent years for ‘Innovation’ and ‘Excellence in Canine Pet Food’. Their kibble boasts some of the highest meat ratios vs other ingredients, with 85% meat, fish and egg ingredients, with the remaining 15% made up from vegetables, fruits and botanicals.
I also liked the sound of their products being Biologically Appropriate™, made from a combination of fresh, raw and dried meats, with only natural preservatives. ORIJEN champion the WholePrey™ diet that mirrors the diet that dogs would naturally consume in the wild, including organs and cartilage, which reduces the need for additives like synthetic vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
ORIJEN was an instant hit with Elsa; no sooner had I opened the bag and she was pawing at my leg to get a sniff of it. The kibble is crunchy but not too hard, so it’s easy for her to eat. Another thing that I noticed is that it’s not greasy like some other kibbles are. Since we were so impressed with the food, we decided to start buying Elsa the ORIJEN Dog Treats too. These come in resealable pouches and are made from 100% freeze-dried meat. We’d never seen anything like these treats before, they are very light and can be broken up into smaller pieces. Elsa absolutely loves it when we crumble one over her food as an extra special, super-meaty treat!
Elsa and I are so thrilled to have been chosen to represent ORIJEN as brand ambassadors!
As you know, we are passionate about the brands that we care about, and the food that she eats plays such a significant part in Elsa’s life, keeping her fit and healthy so that we can go on lots of adventures together! We are so grateful for the opportunity to support ORIJEN and can’t wait to share more of our stories with you!